Living Life as a Disciple Maker // The Command to Make Disciples

Well, here we are on week two of Multiply. What an amazing study so far, wouldn't you agree? This week we're focusing on Jesus' command (the Great Commission, Matthew 28:19-20) to make disciples of all nations. Francis Chan does an exceptional job of asking very direct questions about discipleship and how we fit into the process.

Being Jesus' disciple, as I mentioned last week, isn't something that we should take lightly. It's a job, a real job. Like Francis Chan explained, many people probably think that discipleship is something that ministers are supposed to do and no one else. He further explains that that is not the case at all (more on this later). Who was Jesus' command to make disciples directed toward? Of course, He was talking to the 11 disciples. Let's refresh our memory really quick...what is a disciple? A disciple is a follower or student of a teacher or leader--in other words, Christ follower, as a disciple (aka: a Christian), Jesus was talking directly to you and me. Scratch that, He was giving us a command to make disciples of all nations! So we've established that we are to make disciples, but how does the church fit into the process?

I've been to churches of all sizes and denominations. I was actually born and bred a Southern Baptist (don't hold that against me!). Some of them did better than others when it came to discipleship and some didn't focus on discipleship at all, or at least they didn't make it a priority. I believe Cornerstone Presbyterian Church is working very hard in being a disciple training and making church, and I'm not just saying that because this post is going to be on the Facebook page and blog! We have members and leaders that are absolutely committed and passionate about training the Soldiers for Christ--you and me--in being deliberate disciples of Jesus Christ. Part of the reason I chose to accept this Multiply project was because I love discipleship. I love being a disciple and helping other disciple. It is what we were made--and commanded--to do. I love it! I wasn't always passionate about discipleship, though.

As explained in the book, discipleship is an easy process...on paper. Go. Baptize. Teach. Three simple steps, right? Yes, they are pretty simple to read...but how easy are they do actually do? People shy away from being a disciple for many different reasons, but I would argue that one of the biggest reasons is the fear of rejection. Luke 10:16 says, "Whoever listens to you listens to me; whoever rejects you rejects me; but whoever rejects me rejects him who sent me." What is Jesus saying here? To hear His ambassadors is to hear Him, to reject them is to reject Him. As disciples, we will be rejected. Some people aren't quite ready to hear the Good News about Jesus Christ. Part of our job as Jesus' disciple is to plant the seed in their heart. God will take care of the rest. In His timing, He will sprout the seed into something glorious. The thing that has always been challenging for me is getting over the rejection.

We have to remember that God is in control--all the time. If you're like me, you like to see the results of your hard work immediately. I'm impatient! But, God's timing is always, always perfect. Once we're able to figure that one out, then it will get easier for us! Francis Chan put it perfectly, "The members of the early church took their responsibility to make disciples very seriously. To them, the church wasn't a corporation run by a CEO. Rather, they compared the church to a body that functions properly only when every member is doing its part." He went on to say that "every member of the church is a minister." Do you consider yourself a minister? If not, you should really start thinking and praying about that. We are all ministers...no excuses.

Speaking of excuses, I told you last week that we would discuss a little further Luke 9:57-62. Here's the passage:
57 As they were walking along the road, a man said to him, “I will follow you wherever you go.”
58 Jesus replied, “Foxes have dens and birds have nests, but the Son of Man has no place to lay his head.”
59 He said to another man, “Follow me.”
But he replied, “Lord, first let me go and bury my father.”
60 Jesus said to him, “Let the dead bury their own dead, but you go and proclaim the kingdom of God.”
61 Still another said, “I will follow you, Lord; but first let me go back and say goodbye to my family.”
62 Jesus replied, “No one who puts a hand to the plow and looks back is fit for service in the kingdom of God.”
You can clearly see that Jesus is calling these men to follow him and each of them gave an excuse as to why they can't. In verse 57, the guy was all about following Jesus. While this eager disciple had good intentions, he did not know (or perhaps understand) the price of following Jesus. Talk is easy, but daily denial and focused commitment are very hard. In verse 60, the would-be disciple wanted to postpone his commitment to a future date. Delay or procrastination in regard to salvation is extremely dangerous; you can't hold on to your old life. Our self-centered life of the fall (Genesis 3) is replaced by Kingdom-centered, Spirit-filled service to others. Finally, in verse 61, the man is trying to rationalize what's going on by asking to go home first and spend time with his family and friends. What is your response to Jesus' command to make disciples?

Do we allow other things to delay following Christ and making disciples? Following Jesus and being His disciple is the only worthy goal. What are you prepared to let go of in order to be a committed, deliberate disciple of Jesus Christ? Let's do this, church! As they say in the movie 'Frozen,' let it go! Let God handle everything and you and I will just follow Him and obey His command to make disciples of all nations!

In Christ,
Pastor Jeremy Meier