Living as the Church // The Local Church (Part 2)

Well, it's been a few days since I issued the challenge to deliberately show the love of Christ through your actions and words to people you interact with on a daily basis.  So...I'm dying to know how you did!  I know that making yourself vulnerable and transparent can be, and often times is, a nerve-racking position to put yourself in.  I get it.  I'm sure that Jesus was anxious when he was betrayed, forced to carry his own cross to His place of death, and ultimately His hanging on the cross, dying for our sins.  Are you picking up what I'm putting down?  Jesus died for you and me, for our sins, so that we would receive eternal life.

As you all know, I'm sure, we're sinners.  We are all sinners.  Romans 3:23 spells that fact out pretty good for us: For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.  In order to be able to receive God's free gift of salvation through faith alone in Jesus, we have to acknowledge that fact.  We are a broken people who are incapable of saving ourselves.  Period.  Good works are good, but they won't get you to heaven.  Being nice to people is great, but if you're looking at that to get you into the Pearly Gates, think again.  Coming to church is awesome, but God will give you the clothesline (football reference in light of Super Bowl Sunday).  All the aforementioned things are wonderful aspects of a life but it means nothing if Jesus isn't at your very core, embedded into your heart.  Do you want to know what the best way to share Jesus with someone is?  Be in love.  You must be head-over-heels in love with Jesus Christ, that's where you start.  If we don't exhibit the love that Jesus has for us to others, why would anyone want to be part of the family of God?  If they don't see through our actions and words that Jesus Christ is a life changer, people may dismiss the power of a relationship with Christ.  Is that a risk we're willing to take?  I'll speak for myself and say, "absolutely not!"

Enough preaching...sorry about that.

My name is Jeremy.  I was able to grow a beard by the time I was 13 or 14 years old.  As it turned out, this became a curse for me because it allowed me to disguise my age to cashiers at the local liquor store where I would frequently visit.  There are few days during my first two years in high school that I remember not being drunk.  I didn't care nor was I concerned about stopping.  I reluctantly visited a church with a friend and immediately felt the presence of the Holy Spirit wash over me in a way that is almost indescribable.  Unbeknownst to me, God was doing His work on my heart even as I pounded back shot after shot, beer after beer.  People were praying for me.  People invited me to church often.  It wasn't until I chose to go with my friends to church that I realized my life wasn't worth living the way I was.  There was something more out there, something much bigger than myself.  God transformed my life.  I can all but guarantee that had I not accepted the invitation to church, and ultimately Jesus' invitation to follow Him, my life would have ended early.  Life without Christ isn't a life.

That's my story in a very brief nutshell.  That's what I shared to someone this weekend while I was doing some last minute grocery shopping.  It was awkward and, at times, uncomfortable, but I believe that the Holy Spirit put on my heart to talk to this person.  Sometimes your story is what people need to hear.  Maybe someone needs to hear that you are broken, too.  The difference between your brokenness and a non-believer's is that you have hope in Jesus Christ.

The first day that I taught our High Schoolers Sunday School, I gave them two things: first, I gave each of them a book called "Difference Makers: An Action Guide for Jesus Followers" which is intended to help them become the difference makers in their "circle."  The second thing I gave them each was a stack of tracts called, "What Shall I Do to Inherit Eternal Life."  Their challenge was to use the book to help them become more deliberate in their walk with the Lord and to be the change agent that people need to hear from.  The tracts weren't theirs to keep; rather they were encouraged to pass them out to everyone they came in contact with.  Quite a few of the high school kids were concerned about telling their story because they grew up in the church for all or the majority of their lives.  I am here to tell you that even if you grew up in the church, you have a story to tell.  Maybe you've seen the power of God work miracles.  Perhaps you have witnessed someone addicted to drugs quit cold turkey.  You've seen the sick become well.  You have seen and heard things that is a testimony to the power of the Holy Spirit.  People need to hear your story.  Tell them.

Check out what Paul tells us in 1 Corinthians 9:22: To the weak I became weak, to win the weak.  I have become all things to all people so that by all possible means I might save some.  Have you ever asked God to break your heart for what breaks His?  I believe, in a way, that's what Paul is talking about here.  We need to have a great burden for those around us, in our church, community, state, country, and world.  Church, those in the world that don't yet know who Jesus Christ is and what His love feels like must be told our stories.

As I write this post, I'm listening to some music.  Normally I don't stop what I'm doing to listen to the actual lyrics, but for a certain song I stopped what I was doing and just listened.  The song was called "While I'm Waiting."  The lyrics start like this:

I'm waiting, I'm waiting on You Lord
And I'm hopeful, I'm waiting on You Lord
Though it is painful, but patiently I will wait

And I will move ahead bold and confident
Taking every step in obedience

It's easy for me to relate to this song because I was "given the opportunity" to move to Nebraska for a little over a year.  I have no idea why God has chosen me for this and there have been times that I just didn't care.  But, the bigger picture is that God has some glorious plans for me in Nebraska.  I don't know what they are right now, but I'm sure it has something to do with leading people to the Lord.  You see, our story isn't always what we want it to be, but it's our story nonetheless.  We must remain patient on Him and "take every step in obedience" to Him.  God has gifted each of us to fulfill His calling so that by all possible means we might save some.

Church family, I encourage you to continue to show the love of Jesus Christ through your actions and words so that the Holy Spirit will shine through us to those that don't yet know him.

Thanks for letting me ramble on for what has now become my longest post.  Enjoy the game today and GO SEAHAWKS!!!

Yours in Christ,
Pastor Jeremy Meier