Discipleship Part 3

The first step in being a deliberate disciple for Jesus Christ is to be like Jesus: be a servant to the people. Today I was fortunate enough to be counted among the several volunteers that set up and ran the Roosevelt Park Grand Re-Opening after the historic Minot flood of 2011. It was a wonderful time of giving and receiving blessings to and from the community!

While I was unfortunately not in... Minot during the flood due to a deployment, I heard about it and then saw the aftermath once I returned home four months after the flood hit. The city was emotionally and physically broken. Volunteers from all across the country flocked to Minot to begin rebuilding the Magic City. Some people had flood insurance and many did not. Many people are back in their rebuilt homes, some are still working—two years later. Some people had to completely abandon their house because it was beyond repair. As you can probably imagine, some spirits were shaken. As a consistent volunteer for flood relief efforts, it started to get pretty emotional for me. It wasn’t until I preached a message at one of our Wednesday evening services that I finally realized what God was doing to our City.

The text of my message was 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18, three very short verses:

Rejoice Always. Pray continually. Give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.

The Monday or Tuesday before that message our church did a block party for flood victims. It was again an emotional time of fellowship with those that were hit hardest from the devastation. The one thing that I didn’t really realize until shortly after the block party was that the person standing right next to me in the cook trailer had a home that was consumed by the flood. As a matter of fact, this person had two houses in the flood! Another married couple from our church was serving food to the victims and they were also flood victims themselves. I was humbled (and slightly ashamed that I didn’t already know that information about them). These folks, who were affected by the flood in a way that I can only imagine, chose to rejoice in the opportunity to be able to show the love of Christ by being a servant to the other victims. They could’ve been angry over the situation; instead, they gave thanks to our Savior for the opportunity to be His hands a feet (Matthew 28; Mark 16:15). These people are just a small example of the many flood victims that chose to serve instead of be angry over the situation.

When I started getting involved with the flood recovery, at first I just wanted to help where I could. I wasn’t concerned with where or what I did, just knew that I needed to help. After a few block parties and some amazing conversations with flood victims, I realized what God was doing through us. People were getting better—they were healing. God was using us to bring hope and healing to a community that was hurting. While our actions certainly blessed some victims, we volunteers were equally blessed. I gained amazing friends that only God could’ve put in my path (Katelin, Julie, Mark, Steve, Lindy, Tawnya, Kristi, just to name a few). I received unbeatable mentorship from my pastor. I was able to start and lead different ministries. My heart was transformed from self-serving heart to a servant one—a transformation I welcomed and will maintain for the remainder of my life. The list could go on and on. God tells us in many places in Scripture that those who serve him will receive blessings (Malachi 3:17-18; John 12:26; Hebrews 6:10; Revelation 7:14-15). Being a servant of Jesus Christ means denying yourself and picking up your cross and following Him (Matthew 16:24; Luke 9:23; Luke 14:27). Interestingly enough, the same goes for being a disciple…a deliberate disciple for Jesus Christ. Go now, and serve!

Yours in Christ,
Jeremy