How to Study the Bible // Studying the Bible Prayerfully and Obediently

I really enjoyed this week's chapter.  I have to say, though, much like last week, this one spoke to me.  I pray that it also spoke to you in a personal way that incited some reflection in your own Bible study methods and how you approach God's Word.  Francis Chan brought up some pretty awesome points when it comes to the Word, how it is approached, the reasons in which it is approached, and whether or not our hearts have satisfactorily prepared our hearts to hear Him speak to us through His Word.

I'm certain I cannot speak for everyone reading this blog post, but I would say, for quite a few of us, we have opened up the Word with some level of resistance.  Not necessarily resistance in that we don't want to read the Word, but resistance in our preparation to read the Word.  Francis Chan spoke of two different aspects of studying the Bible in this chapter: Prayer and Obedience.  I would like to start off in reverse order, and talk about obedience.

First of all, what exactly is obedience?  Merriam-Webster1 define obedience like this:

An act or instance of obeying.

Okay, that's a fine definition, but, like all Bible school students, I thought I should also consult my Bible dictionary2; here is its definition of obedience:

Believing and doing what God says; living like Him.

Nothing against Merriam-Webster, but I like my Bible dictionary's definition way better.  It makes it a bit more personal to us, wouldn't you agree?  So, if we take the Biblical definition of obedience at face value, then it would mean that we believe what God says and that we will do what He says.  How are we able to actually accomplish this?  Of course there are a myriad of ways to help us accomplish this, but the one thing that we must do is study God's Word.  I used to think that it was easier said than done.  #WrongAnswer

I know the first time I read through Genesis, I was, honestly, frustrated and deflated.  I would get overwhelmingly upset that I couldn't pronounce all the names and places in the first book of God's Word.  It would frustrate me so much that I would put down my Bible for days at a time.  No, it wasn't an "easy read" like Multiply is; it's a challenge.  If we look at the Bible as God intended, then we wouldn't be frustrated.  Instead, we would be grateful for His Word and would work harder to understand Him and what He is telling us through it.  In other words, we would study the Word devotionally.  In other words, we would study God's Word with profound dedication.3

Check out 1 Peter 1:13 real quick:
Therefore, with minds that are alert and fully sober, set your hope on the grace to be brought to you when Jesus Christ is revealed at his coming.
What do you think this verse it telling us? While this passage is referring to the imminent return of Jesus, I think it can also apply to our devotional-centric study of God's Word. If we go into the Word with joyful anticipation of the Holy Spirit to speak to us, through the Word, then our outlook will determine our outcome and our attitude will determine our action. The same is true if our outlook and attitude aren't focused on the Holy Spirit's presence and if we allow any barriers which would prevent us from having an attitude of anticipation of the Spirit's work in our life through His Word. Our outlook and attitude play a significant role in how we study the Bible; anything less than being completely open and ready for the Spirit to work in our lives through the Word will undoubtedly assure us a study that is not centered on Christ. Does that make sense? How can we combat this challenge?

The answer to that question is not complicated nor should it be.  The answer, quite simply, is prayer.  If you remember last week's post when I talked about my study of "The Bible in 90 Days" and how it didn't really speak to me as I hoped it would...what was my reasoning?  Prayer...remember now?  I didn't fully commit the study through prayer and because of that, I believe, my study wasn't as fruitful or enlightening as I had hoped it would be.  Then, you'll remember, I started talking about my study of the book of Acts.  The first thing I did, before I even opened my Bible, was pray.  I asked the Holy Spirit to be present and to reveal to me whatever it was that He wanted to.  I don't write this as a boastful person; instead, I write it as a humble servant of Christ who was going through a season of challenges and knew I needed to change the way I studied God's Word.  Rightly focusing on Christ through prayer before we even open His Word will have a lasting and profound impact on how we study and, in turn, will provide us a wonderful opportunity to get closer and closer to Him in the process.  We must remain faithful in Him and His Word as we continue to navigate through our lives.

Studying the Bible faithfully and studying the bible in faith are two different things, really.  The former is merely studying it consistently; the latter is actually allowing the Word to speak to you.  As Francis Chan put it (pg. 117) "If the Bible is indeed the very words of God, then those words carry the same authority and power as God Himself."  What does that statement remind you of?  How about John 1:1:
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
As a follower of Jesus Christ, you already believe the Bible as the inerrant (free from error or mistake)2 Word of God. That said, it would then also lead one to conclude that you believe that John 1:1 is referring to the Bible as the actual, no kidding Word of God--spoke directly from God to human authors. To summarize what Francis Chan is talking about here is that the Word of God is as if God is speaking the words from the pages directly to you and me. I don't know about you, but I think that's pretty awesome!

The final section of this chapter was the "left hook" for me. We attend small groups, go to studies in homes, at church, work, or on our own on a daily or weekly basis, right? Right. Remember what I said last week about the importance of joining a small group? Okay, good! When we study the Word, how does it affect us? Are we encouraged? Peaceful? Educated? What? How do you feel after you study the Word? We all feel something and with each passing day, the feeling may or may not be different.

Francis Chan brings up one of the most important aspects of studying the Word in this final section of the chapter. Prayerful, obedient, and faithful study of God's Word is extremely important; however, what do we do with the information we receive from His Word? Do we dwell on it and use it to benefit us some way? Do we put a pin in it until next time we meet with our group? What do we do, church? Francis hit the nail square on the head here...we must be transformed. If we finish a study and don't feel any sense of transformation or a longing to allow the Word to transform us, then we need to take a step back and evaluate what we did (or didn't do). Did we pray? Did we seek the presence of the Holy Spirit? Did we maintain 100 percent of the focus on Christ? I love how Francis Chan explained transformation (pg. 120):
There is no reward for merely hearing the truth. Bible study is incomplete and illegitimate until it turns into obedience and transforms us.
Those words may seem kind of harsh, but if we can be honest with ourselves for a second, isn't he right? I mean, if we're just studying the Bible to gain knowledge and not to have it change and transform us, then it is, indeed, incomplete.

Be in prayer, church, for the Holy Spirit to speak to and transform you through His Word. Approach Bible study with reverence and with the same magnitude as if you were speaking face-to-face with God.

Dare to be transformed!

Yours in Christ,
Pastor Jeremy Meier