How to Study the Bible // Why Study the Bible?

Whoa...what a chapter!  This particular chapter of Multiply really spoke to me in a very personal way.  I've never had a challenging time studying God's Word, but as I read through this chapter, I realized, and was subsequently ashamed, that I have studied the Bible, on occasion in the past, for the wrong reasons.  At the time, our study motivations are skewed because we aren't really focused on what having the Holy Spirit dwell within us, through His word; rather, we are focused, for example, on how to rationalize a decision, act, sin, or ____________ (insert excuse here).  I have a pretty good example of one of the motivations which Francis Chan explained in this chapter.

It's been probably a year ago now, but I was having a small group meeting at my house every Sunday afternoon.  It was a great time of fellowship with some wonderful friends--SIDEBAR...if you aren't involved in some sort of small group, please join one or start one yourself.  SIDEBAR OVER.  Okay, everyone in the group would mutually agree on what study we were going to do.  The first several weeks were spent studying the book of Romans.  It was awesome!!  Once we were done with the Romans study, we agreed to one of those "Through the Bible in XX" studies.  Normally, you'll see these studies as one you complete in a year.  Nope, not us overachievers!  The program we used was "The Bible in 90 Days."  Yes, you read that right.  We were to read the Bible in 90 days--3 months.  It seemed like a pretty tall order at the time, but achievable, we thought.

We all did well when it came to reading the assigned Scriptures.  I can say with confidence that we read the Bible in 90 days.  Ah, what an accomplishment!  Let me be very clear, I was excited to read through the entire Bible again; however, when we were done, I did not feel anything more than I felt before we started.  You see, my motivation for this particular study was guilt.  I was leading the group (really we were all leading together), and I had an overwhelming sense of guilt if I missed even one verse.  I was motivated not by getting closer to God and knowing Him in a more intimate way, I was motivated to get my homework done.  I acknowledge that this was a poor attitude to have for this study, but the pressure was on full-court press to get the assignment done and couldn't let the others down.

Now, there are a couple factors that contributed to my not gaining much out of this study.  First, I didn't really let the Holy Spirit work in me as we studied and second, it was a very tall order and the devil knew this and used it to his advantage.  Any reading plan which takes you through the Bible is great.  Personally and honestly, I think 90 days leaves little room to really let the Scriptures speak to you.  For example, I would come across a particular verse or verses and really wanted to dwell on them, but I just needed to keep reading to make sure I was done by our Sunday afternoon meeting.  So, I would underline the passage and keep on keeping on.  I think it would have been great if I prepared my heart and really let the Holy Spirit speak to me.  So, to make a long story short, I didn't prepare well enough to get anything out of this study and instead did it because I would be guilty if I didn't finished the assigned reading.  Don't be like me.

Just as Francis Chan points out, people read the Bible for different reasons; however, the true reason we should read it is to "facilitate a relationship with God" (pg 99).  To be an effective disciple, you don't need to be a theologian, but you should understand the Bible so that you can communicate it to others.  I love the Scripture Francis used in 1 Peter 2:1-2:

Therefore, rid yourselves of all malice and all deceit, hypocrisy, envy, and slander of every kind.  Like newborn babies, crave pure spiritual milk, so that by it you may grow up in your salvation.

I'm sure before you read that passage in Multiply, you've either read it before or heard it spoke.  It's really a great parallel of how we should long for God's Word and presence just as newborn babies long for milk to continue to grow and live.  The Bible is the perfect source for us to focus our attention on God and ultimately get closer to Him every day we are on this earth.  Don't fret about how much you read on a daily basis, either, as long as you focus on God and His Word every day.  Check out what Joshua 1:8 says:

Keep this Book of the Law always on your lips; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful.

Joshua had to be deliberate in his reading of God's Word daily and make it a part of who he was by meditating on it.  The Hebrew word translated "meditate" means "to mutter."  It was the practice of the Jews to read Scripture out loud and talk about it to themselves and to one another.  This explains why God warned Joshua that the book of the Law was not to depart out of his mouth.  I pray that if we are not already like Joshua in our study of God's Word, we keep His Word on our lips and meditate on it day and night.

Right now, I'm studying the book of Acts.  For the first day of my study of Acts, chapter one, I prayed in earnest for the Holy Spirit to open my eyes and ears to hear His Word and to open my heart to receive whatever He intends for me to receive.  For three days I've focused on only the first eleven verses of Acts chapter one.  Because my motivation was to get closer to God (e.g. the right motivation), I was able to really dig deeper into His Word and allow the Holy Spirit to speak to me.  As Francis eluded in Multiply (pg. 105), it is life-changing when your daily reading is motivated on God and nothing else.

For the first time since the Barna Group has been surveying religious topics (1984), there is no difference in Bible reading and Bible skepticism with both at 19%.  What does that mean?  It means that of those surveyed, 19% said that reading the Bible at least 4 times a week and believe it is the actual or inspired Word of God.  Compare that to the skeptics, where also 19% believe "the Bible is just another book of teachings written by men that contain stories and advice."  If you look back to three years ago, the skeptics made up only 10% of the surveyed...it's nearly doubled!!  Church, that's a decline that is not meant for celebration.  Furthermore, in just three years, there has been a decline in the amount of people that view the Bible as sacred, 79% in 2014 compared to 86% in 2011.  Here's another statistic...

88% of all households own an average of 4.7 Bibles.  Of those 88%, only 37% read them once a week or more.  One question...what is the other 51% doing with their 4.7 Bibles?  Allowing them to collect dust?

How about this statistic which is directly related to this chapter of Multiply:

Only 56% of those that read the Bible say that it brings them closer to God, compared to 64% in 2011.

I could go on and on with statistics, but you can clearly see that there is an overwhelming decline in people's view of the Bible, how often they read their Bible, and their motivation for studying their Bible.  Keep in mind, we're not just talking about the churchless people; these statistics include those that say they are Christians.  You should be as alarmed as I am!

Church, we must--I say again--we must ensure that our motivation for studying God's Word is completely rooted in a desire to learn more about God, live a Godly life, facilitate a relationship with God, exalt Jesus, and to prepare us for our God-given mission of reaching the world with the love and saving grace of Jesus Christ.  Don't succumb to what I did during "The Bible in 90 Days" and study the Word because you're guilty--this isn't a "Bible in 90 days" situation...we're talking about eternal life or death.  Be the salt and light by being rightly motivated!

I watched one of the final sermons presented by the late Dr. Howard Hendricks, Distinguished Professor Emeritus at Dallas Theological Seminary, and he said that as Christians and disciples, we should ask ourselves three questions every day before we go to sleep, based on 2 Timothy 2:15:

Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a worker who does not need to be ashamed and who correctly handles the word of truth.

1) Is the Lord well pleased?
2) Is the work well done?
3) Is the Word well used?

Jumping back to Joshua 1:8[b], do you want to know what success looks like?  If you can answer yes to each of those three questions, then your ministry is successful.  Remember, though, that we must pick up our cross daily and follow Jesus (Matthew 16:24; Mark 8:34; Luke 14:27 and many more).

Yours in Christ,
Pastor Jeremy Meier